kolabd package available in Debian sid

T. Ribbrock admin_slox-e at itsef.com
Tue Apr 11 14:02:48 CEST 2006

On Mon, Apr 10, 2006 at 07:25:15PM +0200, Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> Am Samstag, 8. April 2006 00:40 schrieb Markus Heller:
> > Instead we must look forward and see where we have deficits: It is really
> > vital to get kolab into the main distributions, and we'll only reach this
> > if we get rid of openpkg.
>
> I disagree.
> It is much more important to offer stable features and good support.
> Both can be done much easier currently with OpenPKG.
>
> > SuSE/Novell will never include something in their
> > distro which doesn't fit into the FHS. And the others won't either.
>
> It is only a small drawback as Kolab Server can easily be depolyed on
> such systems already, because of the OpenPKG layer.
> And this is much easier on development, support and system administration
> (for a Kolab solution).

Not sure I agree on the system administration part here. I can see your
point about OpenPKG making life easier for the developer (and therefore
I can live with it - if the developers are happy, they will keep
developing... ;-) ) and support, but from the administrator's point of
view, it's also a bit of a nuissance at times, as you get yet another
extra source (or even sources, as you have to watch kolab.org, openpkg.org
plus the updates of the underlying OS) you have to keep an eye on for
security updates - which in turn are not as easy to apply as e.g. packages
that are part of a distro.

The whole "security updates" situation is actually one of the more vague
points of Kolab in my experience - which is nicely summarised in
https://intevation.de/roundup/kolab/issue850 as I just noticed... :-)

My EUR0.02,

Thomas