kolabd package available in Debian sid

Markus Heller markus at relix.de
Sat Apr 8 00:40:36 CEST 2006

Dear friends,

> Am Freitag, 7. April 2006 04:02 schrieb Thiago Cordeiro:
> > Uau! this sounds good... openpkg is ugly!..   bleh...
> > Debian rulez..  :-D
>
> Without OpenPKG there probably would not be a stable Kolab Server today.
> Using OpenPKG on Debian currently is technically cleaner and gives
> you a version you can better buy real maintenance and support for.
> Most arguments I have heard against OpenPKG are based on sentiments,
> not technical discussion.
>
> Yes, it would be nice to have more ports, including a Debian one
> and we are encouraging them, but this is a lot of work for the developers.

this really makes me smile... Being a debian kina guy, too, I absolutely
support the idea of having deb packages. And I don't want to look backwards,
because that was a hell lot of work, and I am sooooo thankful to everybody
who has helped to get kolab so far.

Instead we must look forward and see where we have deficits: It is really
vital to get kolab into the main distributions, and we'll only reach this if
we get rid of openpkg. SuSE/Novell will never include something in their
distro which doesn't fit into the FHS. And the others won't either.

Another development goal must be modularity. We need to focus the business
perspective: Here ar relix we see that with shared folders, Kolab actually
makes up a rather good crm infrastructure. But to be really good, it takes
more. Having hundreds of shared folders and navigating in a huge tree is a
little annoying. There should be a crm tool on basis of kolab, perhaps as a
kpart in Kontact.

Some more: Horde should be really reliably integrated in kolab. No frickling
around to get it runnig! One click in a graphical install tool and that's it!
Go and look at the installation process of SugarCRM or typo3. This must be
the aim. We should start to create an entire application market. It should be
worth for companies to develop plugins for Kolab.

The web frontend must become an easy to configure portal framework. It must be
easy to turn kolab into a communication platform for societies. Have a look
at the extension concept of typo3! Figure out, you can just download web
extensions through a web backend, and they install upon a click. In typo3,
it's similar to apt on Debian.

Let's look beyond the horizon: M$ are integrating Sharepoint Portal Server and
Exchange. And they're adapting their entire Office Suite framework to
collaborate with this conglomerate.

They're just about to create another big monopoly, and I really don't want to
stay back.

Best wishes,
a visionary
Markus