Toltec connector synchronisation sometimes hangs and consumes much memory

Uwe Greßhake u.gresshake at dmmd.de
Wed Apr 5 19:00:26 CEST 2006

Hi,

I am using kolab server in an outlook environment with the toltec
connector v2.06.

The last time the following error is occuring more an more often:
While doing a full synchronisation or in general, when messages are
copied between kolab and outlook (not only the check), this process
sometimes hangs for a minute or even longer. During this time, the
connector consumes much memory and cpu ressources, and outlook also
stops working fluently.

My first assumption was, that the windows pc probably needed more
memory, but the errors also occured on new machines with 1 GB memory and
a fast processor.
I compared this effect on different client machines and found out, that
all clients stoped working at the same point when toltec tried to
synchronise the same message(s). I assume that the toltec connector has
problems with handling some messages, probably a format issue. It does
not matter, if the message is a normal eMail message, a task, a contact
or an appointment. The message size has some influence on this effect,
but even messages of 10 kb or less lead to this error. After manually
deleting these messages from the server with horde or another imap
client, the toltec connector synchronises as fast as expected.
I examined some of theses messages, but cannot find anything unregular.
All of them have attachments included.

The last time this effect grows up to a serious problem because more and
more spam mails triggers this error. Outlook then completely stops
working and must be killed with task manager, when new Mails are fetched
via pop3 and toltec connector tries to synchronise them with kolab fpor
the first time.

Anybody made similar experiences?