Strange problems with proko2 kde client

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Wed Apr 5 16:13:43 CEST 2006

Am Mittwoch, 5. April 2006 11:00 schrieb T. Ribbrock:
> one of our users encountered an odd problem with the proko2.0.6 client
> today:
>
> He synchronised his Palm M505 with kontact,

Note that kpilot in Proko2.0.6 is still "beta".
It has know bugs, search for "kpilot" in the tracker.

> which added a couple of
> appointments to his calendar. However, as soon as he started the synch
> with the Kolab server (i.e. fetched mail), those appointments would vanish
> from the calendar. When I examined this closer, I found that the
> appointments were still present as "mails" in the "Calendar" IMAP folder,
> i.e. they had not been deleted as such by the synch. For some odd reason,
> however, KOrganizer refused to display them. After experimenting a bit
> (e.g. unselecting/reselecting the calendar), I finally decided to shut
> down kontact and restart it. After the restart everything went back to
> normal and the events were correctly shown in KOrganizer.
>
> Has anybody seen anything like this before?

One of the bugs are that if mail sync and kpilot sync hit each other.
When the Kontact index files are corrupted, a lot of interesting bugs can
happen.

> Second part of the problem: As I mentioned above, I was looking at the
> "Calendar" folder to see whether the events were still present in there.
> When I did so, I found a large quantity (must have been some 3000) of
> *empty* messages in there - no subject, no from, no body. I deleted those,
> but I'm still wondering what could have caused them to appear.

Usually crashes or unclean shutdowns that corrupt the index files.

The upcoming proko2 client version will improve both situations.