imap-migartion

Eric Hameleers alien at nl.ibm.com
Thu Sep 8 08:58:32 CEST 2005

Henning Holtschneider wrote:

> I wrote the attached simple Perl script a while ago which copies an IMAP
> mailbox from one server to another. I successfully copied several mailboxes
> onto a Kolab server with this script. All mailboxes where about 1-2 GB in
> size. Most likely, you won't need the ReadLine and ProgessBar stuff; and you
> also have to make some modifications to be able to access the shared folders.

I will give it a try. The error with imapsync was that it tries to do
a SEARCH on the mailfolders, and does not try to retrieve the messages
in chunks. The response leads to "Read: * BYE Fatal error: word too
long" from the server. I understand that it requires modification of
the Cyrus imapd source code to make the MAXWORD value longer.

>>What I am trying now, is use rsync to move the spool directories over
>>to the Kolab server, and there run
>>
>>su - kolab-r -c "/kolab/bin/cyrreconstruct -rf
>>user/username at kolab.server.name"
>

> Shouldn't that be
>
> su - kolab-r -c "/kolab/bin/cyrreconstruct -rf \
> user/username at kolab.domainname" ?

Yes of course you're right :)

>>There's lots of hairy issues here due to the black-box concept of the
>>kolab server.
>

> I don't think the Kolab server is a black box. You can always use your
> favourite LDAP management tool to create the users and from that on,
> everything is pretty much standard Postfix and Cyrus IMAP.

Well, what I meant was that a Kolab installation does not mix well
with installed software on an existing server. Installing a Kolab
server IMO is really best done on a dedicated machine which is
stripped of all other server software. I had hoped to add Kolab
functionality to one of my existing servers, but that seems to require
patching Postfix/Cyrus-imapd plus perhaps even others. That's why I
used the term 'black box' since ot looks to me that ideally a Kolab
server should not be doing other things.

Cheers, Eric

--
Eric Hameleers