filter rules server-ased?

Henning Holtschneider henning at loca.net
Tue Sep 6 16:02:59 CEST 2005

On Tuesday 06 September 2005 15:39, Markus Heller wrote:

> When I was away, I logged into squirrelmail and I saw more than 1800 email
> in my inbox! Not having had my kontact / kmail client I assume that the
> filtering is all done on the client side.

Yes, that's correct.

> Is there a way to do the filtering on the server side? (I have the feeling
> that Sieve is what I'm looking for, but I don't know anything about it)

Filtering can be done on the server, the Sieve protocol is already part of
Kolab's Cyrus IMAP server. Kolab already does the forward/vacation functions
through Sieve. However, to create custom Sieve rules, you need to write the
scripts manually or use a frontend software. I recommend Smartsieve because
it can easily be installed on the Kolab server and it works very well. More
information can be found here:
http://wiki.kolab.org/index.php/Related_applications

Regards,
Henning Holtschneider