personal opinion.....

Markus Feilner lists at feilner-it.net
Sun Oct 30 14:32:32 CET 2005

Am Sonntag, 30. Oktober 2005 11:21 schrieb Martin Konold:
> Am Sonntag, 30. Oktober 2005 01:21 schrieb Markus Feilner:
>
> Hi Markus,
>
> > > Yes, Kolab requires enhanced versions (some patches and versions are
> > > required)
> >
> > And why does it?
>
> The enhancments fix bugs and add required functionality. After all we are
> doing much more with these components than plain old email.
>
> > Why are they necessary?
>
> Theay are required for the more advances features we are providing.
>
> > What exactly are the reasons that make patched software necessary?
> > Can you give some examples?
>
> E.g. we fixed a bug in the handling of groups in imapd. This bug was
> preventing group acls from working properly. Another example is that we
> added improved annotation handling to imapd in order to be able to put
> metadata there.
>
> > I am one of the "friends" Markus mentioned, and I have worked with
> > different Groupware Servers. Only kolab seems to need patched versions of
> > standard software to accomplish the same tasks like others do.
>
> Kolab is solving some issues other did not manage to solve for years.
>
> > I have tried e.g. OpenXchange and before the SuSe Open-Xchange - and I
> > consider its necessity for a java server disgusting and unnecessary,
> > because other groupware solutions do without.
>
> FYR: SLOX contains _many_ patches to the original software!
>
> > egroupware in fact could be a very good role model for Kolab at the
> > moment. Just try the installation and configuration routine - all from
> > the browser
>
> This is simply not correct. You can't install egroupware from the browser.

Ok you're right, but on a LAMP Server with IMAP there are only two steps after
apt-get that need to bed done at the command line.
Have you had a look at the post-install configuration interface?
I think this is great.

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Markus Feilner

Feilner IT Linux & GIS
Linux Solutions, Training, Seminare und Workshops - auch Inhouse
Beraiterweg 4 93047 Regensburg Untere Hauptstr 2 85386 Eching
fon regensburg  +49 941 8107989 fon eching      +49 89 379 956 3
fax +49 89 379 956 444  mobil + +49 170 3027092
skype ID: mfeilner mail: mfeilner at feilner-it.net
SIP: +49 941 569 549 5 (sipgate)