personal opinion.....

Markus Feilner lists at feilner-it.net
Sun Oct 30 13:47:19 CET 2005

Am Sonntag, 30. Oktober 2005 13:02 schrieb Martin Konold:
> Am Sonntag, 30. Oktober 2005 12:49 schrieb Markus Feilner:
>
> Hi Markus,
>
> > And I still don't understand why kolab needs patched standard servers
> > when other groupware solutions don't.
>
> Other groupware servers don't use imap for storing groupware objects.
> Typically these solutions use RDBMs like MySQL.

And I think here lies the real problem:
Kolab can't use RDBMs as backend.
Others can't use IMAP.
egroupware has a modular structure that should make it possible to integrate
with Kolab - or am i completely mislead here ?

Anyway, I think a modern OSS Groupware Server Killer Solution needs four main
features:
1) modular structure for Backends and Frontends like LDAP, RDBMs and IMAP
2) distribution integration (including safe and reliable auto updates)
3) reference clients for offline groupware functions, incl. at least one
full-featured Webclient, one Windows Client and one Linux Client. - !
!!An Opensource Windows Groupware client would be a real killer.!!!
4) A Web-based Administration Interface

Kolab today fulfills 2 out of four features from my list. (3. and 4. - even
though I'm not sure how Horde works now)
Egroupware fulfills 3 (1., 2. and 4.), but two of them only partly
It lacks IMAP Support for groupware objects, and working Desktop Clients (I'm
not sure but there are howtos on kontact integration).
These two are in my opinion the ones closest to success. (No - not world
domination!)

Of course there's more, but I guess that can be accomplished with a modular
structure relatively easily.

It's no coincidence that the city of Munich did not find a suitable OSS
Groupware Server for its purposes.
They now will use Thunderbird and programm their own adressbook solution.

> > How can I help?
>
> There is already an effort going on in porting Kolab to Debian and
> openSUSE. You may help these people.

I will have a look on these projects.

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Markus Feilner

--------------------------
Feilner IT Linux & GIS
Linux Solutions, Training, Seminare und Workshops - auch Inhouse
Beraiterweg 4 93047 Regensburg Untere Hauptstr 2 85386 Eching
fon regensburg  +49 941 8107989 fon eching      +49 89 379 956 3
fax +49 89 379 956 444  mobil + +49 170 3027092
skype ID: mfeilner mail: mfeilner at feilner-it.net
SIP: +49 941 569 549 5 (sipgate)

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen