personal opinion.....

Markus Heller markus at relix.de
Thu Oct 27 17:31:19 CEST 2005

Dear communtiy,

even though I know that I risk to start a major discussion, and even though I
fear that it won't help much...

In a number of discussions I heve come to the conviction that openpkg is the
main reason why kolab has already lost many opportunities. It will always
loose against egroupware where people can install and maintain it with
"apt-get upgrade" or with other package systems that allow online update.

openpkg is the central showstopper for kolab.

This is because we have to get away from it. We need to be able to integrate
this wonderful piece of software in the traditional packaging and software
maintenance tools. Otherwise kolab will not be able to win an admin-user base
of a certain size, and in the end it will not be a successful piece of
software.

There is a clear competition, and the competitor is not M$ Exchange. The
competitor is egroupware, and possibly others I don't know so well.

Many greetings

Markus