Q about maildomain/hostdomain/hostname and settings

Bernhard Reiter bernhard.reiter at intevation.de
Tue Nov 22 22:18:41 CET 2005

Am Samstag, 19. November 2005 18:51 schrieb Realos:
> configuration

> I think, I do understand basic idea and usage of maildomain, hostname
> and domain name. Still, I feel uncomfortable at configuration of kolab
> services into our network structure.
>
> ___CONCEPTS___
> First I will write down how I understand the concepts just to make sure
> I am not doing mix up. hostname (e.g. pc_101) is the name of my local
> host, and it must be unique within it's domain (e.g. mydomain.com).
> Consequently "pc_101.mydomain.com" is unique woldwide, for
> "mydomain.com" is unique worldwide.
>
> Maildomain is a concept of MTAs (mail transport agents). Intra domain
> mails are transported directly to the destination, whereas inter domain
> mails are delivered to another mail host.

I do not think that maildomain is a fixed concept.
In Kolab's case that is the domain you want to use for your emails.

> ___SCENARIO___
> We already have a mail server (mail.mydomain.com)in our organisation which
> should be further used for any outside email communication.
> Kolab is on a dedicated machine and should use that mail server for any
> outside bounded emails.
>
> What would you suggest for the following during kolab configuration:

It depends on the @maildomain part your mail.mydomain.com is using.
If it uses @example.com, here is my rough suggestion.
(Note that email setups can be quite difficult, and I am unable to do a
complete analysis in a few minutes answering this email and without
asking more questions.)

> hostname including domain:?
	pc_101.example.com
> maildomain:?
       example.com
> master/slave server:?
    master
and no slaves, unless you want more. :)

> How to configure kolab so that email seems to come from
> kolab.mydomain.com?

This question is not precise.
There are at least three places:
    a) from which machine the connection comes. Easy going, point
kolab.example.com to pc_101.example.com for the machine that does the lookup.
    b) the envelope from
    c) the header from

> I know that this can be dome with address rewriting
> in postfix. Would you suggest to configure that later in postfix
> seperatetly or is there an option in kolab for that?

Configure it later with postfix.
Note that if you give Kolab your mail.example.com as Smarthost, if will delay
all outbound mail to it.
If your Kolab Server and mail.example.com try to server the same email domain,
consider looking at the email-split raw howto in CVS.

> Thank you for taking time and pain to go through my il-defined
> description of the problem.

You are welcome!
Consider a maintenance contract with the Kolab-Konsortium
so we can continue to bring you a high level product. ;-)

	Bernhard