My experience with kolab and Ubuntu, and some questions...

Bernhard Reiter bernhard.reiter at intevation.de
Thu Nov 17 21:41:07 CET 2005

Hi David,
if you have not gotten answers yet...

Am Mittwoch, 2. November 2005 16:47 schrieb David Correia:
> I've installed a Kolab server in a Ubuntu Hoary server. The installation
> was a quite difficult, because it couldn't use some pakages, so i've
> downloaded the source pakages too and it works after about a hour of
> installation.

It should not have been that difficult as Ubuntu Hoary should be close to
Debian. It is normal to download all source packages.

> I've 5 questions, sorry if they seems too easy for some
> persons but it's my first mail server running kolab.
>
> I've put all the debian pakages in the /kolab/RPM/PKG/ directory,
> 1) -why obmtool could not use some of then ?
> It tells "impossible to find grep.x.X.x.rpm pakage" for example and i'm
> sure in the begining of the installation i had this pakages in the
> directory, so

When using obmtool, you can put the packages anywhere and just
start obmtool in that directory. Obmtool will install the packages
within /kolab/RPM/ by itself.

> 2) -why some pakages, like amavisd, grep; imapd,... have disapear?
> So i've used the source pakages too.

I do not know what you mean, our servers and mirrors should be complete,
except there is an error.
From where did they disappear?

> An other problem.
> I've tried to put this server in a company near of mine, when i've
> pluged and started the server, "impossible to connect to ldap server"
> when i've returned to my office it works an other time.I don't don't how
> and why(same network configuration).

It could be that the port was not free yet or the ldap server not
started. You can use normal unix methods to find out about the network
connections and if the services are running. Check the ldap log if slapd was
not running.

> 3) -Have you an idea, or how can i find the problem to not have this
> issue an other time?

Check the log.
If you like, set up some monitoring.

> On my laptop the kolab server only works in localhost, i've no firewall.
> 4) How can i solve this problem?

If you gave the Kolab Server a real hostname with a dns entry,
it will also listen on outside interfaces. You can use a firewall,
but you do not need to. Did I get the question right?

> And my last question.
> 5) Using the obmtool routine, install the antivirus, and antispam, do
> this services need any updates ? And how to make it ?

Yes, they need updates.
Clamav will get them once a day, in standard configuration.
Check the spamassassin documentation of how to learn and tune
the spamfiltering, too. Amavis can run other additional programs for those
purposes, so you should check its configuration file, too.
(There might be something in the Wiki about this.)

Bernhard