[Kolab-devel] Re: OpenLDAP performance issues

Dieter Kluenter dieter at dkluenter.de
Thu May 12 08:56:31 CEST 2005

Hi,

Martin Konold <martin.konold at erfrakon.de> writes:

> Am Montag, 9. Mai 2005 16:50 schrieb Bernhard Reiter:
>
> Hi Dieter,
>
>> > By adding a DB_CONFIG[1] file to /kolab/var/openldap/openldap-data and
>> > adding 'idlecachesize 3000' to slapd.conf performance of slapd could
>> > be increased.
>
>> We already have DB_CONFIG file in the upcoming server release.
>> It does not contain idecachesize, though.

idlecachsize is an option in slapd.conf

> Can you please report your results for RC1?

OK I will update next wekend

> How much better does the performance get with the RC1 settings?
>
> Can you propose better DB_CONFIG values?

The DB_CONFIG settings are heavily depending on the individual system
requirements, that is ram available, disc performance, filesystem
etc. but as a rule of thumb: number of entries x 4KB + 25%, while 4KB is
the average size of an entry plus 25% overhead for operations.
If possible, that is one has 2 ore more SCSI discs, the logfiles may
be moved to the second disc. For parameters see
If plenty of memory is available, the whole database could be run in shared
memory space, see man slapd-bdb.conf(5) option shm_key.
Please note that with forthcoming OpenLDAP-2.3 things will change,
most options may be configured and changed at runtime via a
configuration backend.

> In general 5000 mails in 68 minutes looks too slow to me and my simple tests
> show better results.

Right, that's what I wanted to tell.

>> > An anonymous bind of nobody would reduce the number of searches, as
>> > each bind requires two search operations.
>
> You mean for the postfix lookups?

Yes, if security considerations will allow an anonymous bind.

-Dieter

--
Dieter Klünter | Systemberatung
http://www.dkluenter.de