Server setup problems (maildomain) (was: IMAP direct)

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Mon Mar 21 12:00:52 CET 2005

On Monday 21 March 2005 11:49, UK Linux wrote:
> Bernhard:
>

> You can run Kolab without a _real_ domain, just use an internal one.
> You can even do it without a DNS server,
> just use static names in /etc/hosts or so.
>

> Thank you. It's taken us a long time to reach this conclusion (i'm not sure
> why ;-)) and i was going to suggest this, but thought it so obvious that
> were it possible, someone would have suggested it before.

:-)

> I now therefore have two questions:
>
> 1. Obviously airecentre.org is a real domain that must be resolved in a
> 'real way' for, say, our web site. How would i configure, together with the
> bootstrapping, such that the kolab server would resolve without 'spoiling'
> real addresses? Just map airemail.airecentre.org in hosts?

Yes, I think so.
I am no expert on DNS setups, but for Kolab you can live with only
having the homeserver to be resolved whereever you need to access it.
Kolab itself will not try to resolve its "maildomain" as machine.
It might be that you need to be careful in the postfix setups when
you start routing emails to real addresses and from real addresses,
but this will be solvable with standard postfix configuration setups.

> 2. Do i just run kolab_bootstrap again, and can you remind me how please
> (it been some time)?

Empty your ldap database.
http://www.fruitsalad.org/kolab/server/beta/kolab-server-2.0-beta-3/sources/README.1st
has the line for initial bootstrapping: