Kolab 2 live CD

Martin Konold martin.konold at erfrakon.de
Tue Jul 26 15:59:03 CEST 2005

Am Freitag 22 Juli 2005 23:44 schrieb Bernhard Reiter:

Hi Bernhard,

> Yes, I agree that a demo live CD is important so that people
> can try Kolab. And as always the problem is: Who does the work?

Sofar the Live CD got created by the KONSEC people and is available for
download from

	http://www.konsec.com/en/downloads/

It works really nice and already come preconfigured with a complete bootstrap
and example users.

> > This implies that we try to include as many Kolab 2 clients as
> > reasonably possible including the Toltec Connector provided that the
> > owners agree with.
>
> I have not heard from Radley Network Technologies if they are interested
> or not. The question is: what is the alternatvive?
> We could have a Live-CD with the server and the KDE Client
> and then people could get the Outlook Connectors from the respective
> vendors.

Well, I think it is best not to put the proprietary clients on the Live-CD but
put some documentation with Links on the Desktop of the Live-CD. If Radley
Network Technologies is interested in such a link they shall provide a single
page of html for inclusion in the Live-CD.

> We must base our Live-CD on a version where we get the source,

IMHO Knoppix is definetly good enough for our purposes. Basically we don't
need any proprietary components for a Kolab Live-CD. So we can simply use the
Knoppix CD as a starting point (as KONSEC GmbH already did) and do our
modifications.

> if we start to give them away commercially and add an offer to give out
> the sources to comply with the license of the software.

Yes, we shall offer all modifications we did as source and point ar Knoppix
archive otherwise.

> I think that  http://live-gnu-linux.ffis.de/ is a nice start.

No, I think this is free software masturbation and a waste of resources.

> So is anybody here, that is willing to help building a Kolab Live-CD?

I am looking forward to volunteers.

Regards,
-- martin

--