Kolab-users Digest, Vol 17, Issue 18

josef at bogad.at josef at bogad.at
Mon Jul 11 21:53:17 CEST 2005

I have been in the eGroupware corner, the phproject, opengroupware, etc,
etc,....

Web centric is too less, as I do need information while I am traveling and
I do not want to pay a fortune for mobil phone based web access. No
difference whether Notebook or PDA access.
So sync is a major requirement.

I have four mail accounts on different mail servers in different domains
and need to have a possibility to share calendar info with other local
users. I tried with some PHP based groupware tools, but they require a
different user for each mail account and are not really handy at offline
situations. I'd like to see all the mails in one shot and have only one
calendar to manage. Further I would need to synchronize/import calendar
and todo entries from a CRM based on MySQL and be able to sync at least
the calendar with my mobile phone.
Is it possible to handle this situation with kolab and some client?
There should be only one user and some way to respond correctly to the
different mail accounts.
Thanx for your advise.

Josef

"Kevin Baker" <kbaker at missionvi.com>
Sent by: kolab-users-bounces at kolab.org
11.07.2005 19:48
Please respond to
kbaker at missionvi.com

will at thebase.com
cc
kolab-users at kolab.org
Subject
Re: Kolab-users Digest, Vol 17, Issue 18

If your implementation is a web-centric groupware system,
another option would be egroupware,

In past threads this was listed as incompatible. It
actually integrates with kolab pretty very as far as email
and authentication go. All other modules use a abstracted
DB backend, mysql, oracle, mssql, pgsql.

I managed to setup egroupware with Kolab in a couple
hours. Egroupware hooks directly into the Kolab LDAP
Authentication for user accounts. The webmail solution
hooks into Cyrus and Sieve no problem, with nice wizards,
like horde's, for setup and management.

The rest of the modules including Calendar, Todo, Notes
etc... (they have modules coming out their ears) use an
SQL backend and support standards such as webdav, ical,
SOAP API and SyncML for outlook and PDA integration...
it's pretty amazing and a nice GUI.

Just a thought and a clarification from earlier threads.
If nothing else it might be a good basis for an SQL
backend option and an oportunity for some OSS project
sharing.

Kevin Baker