Push-Email for PDA (Treo)

Harald Brass brassh at web.de
Tue Dec 27 09:28:46 CET 2005

Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> Am Freitag, 2. Dezember 2005 09:38 schrieb Marcel Meissel:
>
>> Is there any possibility within Kolab (or any other Linux-Software) to
>> make automtic "Push-Email" for a PDA possible on a Linux-Server.
>>

> I am not aware of a Free Software solution
> (which does not mean there is none).
>
> People have build SMS gateways, which is kind of "pushy".

I use chatteremail on my treo 600 and a standard kolab installation on
the server for this purpose since a few weeks. Chatteremail uses the
IMAP IDLE extension for the push functionality and works like a charm
for me. Any incoming e-mails are pushed by the kolab server to my treo
handheld within a few seconds. Chatteremail is not free software, but
inexpensive (39 USD) and does not need any extensions on the server. For
my opinion, this is a real killer app. Try googling with "chatteremail"
and "imap idle".

Regards
Harald