Using Active Directory only to authenticate

Carsten Schurig cs-ml-0110031013 at ebz-dresden.de
Tue Aug 16 11:25:34 CEST 2005

Bernhard Reiter schrieb:

> There are two general models:
> 1) use a regular sync from AD to Kolab's OpenLDAP.
> 2) a tighter integration where the Kolab Server directly
> asks the AD for everything.

If I just want to have an authentification of a user, wouldn't it be
possible to use PAM? If that's true, it's quite easy to use winbindd of
samba 3 to authenticate to a Windows AD server (I configured this to
authenticate users for our subversion repositories: svn -> apache -> pam
-> winbindd -- works very well so far...).

Cheers,
  Carsten