Using Active Directory only to authenticate

Bernhard Reiter bernhard.reiter at intevation.de
Mon Aug 15 21:58:03 CEST 2005

Am Montag, 15. August 2005 20:35 schrieb Sascha Strasser:
> i use OpenLDAP for authentication and storing contacts.

(Note that in Kolab terms, you can only store read only addresses
in the OpenLDAP. "Contacts" are in per user folders on the server.)

> Just basic
> installation, but i want to use an existing W2k3 Server AD with the User
> Accounts on them for authenticate users for kolab.
>
> Is this possible with a kolab server. How must this configurate it? Or
> must there make some changes in the source code?

I think it is possible, but currently is a complicated configuration
which might involve using a bit of scripting glue.
I have not done it myself so far.

There are two general models:
1) use a regular sync from AD to Kolab's OpenLDAP.
2) a tighter integration where the Kolab Server directly
asks the AD for everything.

You would need to find out how passwords are saved and how
you can make authenticate against this from remote.