userid and multidomain

Jean-Michel Dault jmdault at mandrakesoft.com
Fri Sep 10 03:40:43 CEST 2004

Le jeu 09/09/2004 à 10:32, Bernhard Reiter a écrit :
> We talk about two different multidomain funcationalities here.
> What we call multidomain would allow a seperated maintenace
> of several companies on one server. For this they must be completely
> seperated in LDAP and acls, mailboxes and so on.
> Many other people talk about accepting emails for one
> user with different domains. (Anybody has a nice name for it,
> not being "multidomain"? ;) )

Actually three functionalities here:
1) virtual domains (email at domain1 is another user than email at domain2)
2) virtual domains with separate admins for each domain
3) multidomain (email at domain1 is same user as email at domain2)

> > I don't understand why kolab insists on having user at domain. It means you
> > can't use Kolab for pam_ldap, samba, etc.
> I think you could use "user at domain" for samba and other authenficiation uses,

To be compatible with the IEEE Std 1003.1-2001, usernames may only
contain letters, numbers, period, underscore and hyphen. Not conforming
to that standard might break a lot of things. For example, I can't
authenticate with pam_ldap with an @ sign in a username.

The DN can be user at host, no problem, we can tell cyrus to use the e-mail
for authentication, but the uid attribute has to be posix compliant.

--
Jean-Michel Dault <jmdault at mandrakesoft.com>