Question about Kolab XML Format

Martin Konold martin.konold at erfrakon.de
Wed Oct 13 19:49:40 CEST 2004

Am Mittwoch, 13. Oktober 2004 14:20 schrieb Gustavo Michels:

Hi,

> Em Wednesday 13 October 2004 07:08, Bernhard Reiter escreveu:
> > It always was my understanding that Outlook clients
> > do not save calendar data as iCalendar in files.

Yes indeed OL does not know anything about iCalendar. Only the MAPI Transport
Provider POP3/SMTP knows something about iCalendar and is able to
encode/decode iCalendar messages.

> Outlook 2000 and Outlook Web Access only. At first I also thought Exchange
> would never store the data in such way

Exchange does not know about iCalendar.

> imapsync, I suddenly saw all my events on Kontact only by copying the data
> over.

You are observing the result of an early try of Kontact to be able to read
MAPI objects encoded in TNEF. The Kolab client reads the MAPI object and then
generates iCalendar messages. This conversion only works in one direction
from TNEF encoded MAPI to iCalendar not in the reverse direction.

Due to the fact that I claim it is impossible to do the reverse mapping we
came up with the new XML based format which allows for a reverse mapping of
the iCalendar world (e.g. KOrganizer, Kolab Webclient) and the MAPI world (OL
and the Toltec connector).

> I searched a little about Exchange's calendar data format, but
> couldn't find much information.

Exchange only stores the calendar data as MAPI objects.

> About using the legacy format, I plan to enable the horde webclient, and I
> am concerned about horde using the new storage format. If I stay in legacy
> mode, does that mean I won't be able to use the webclient?

The old webclient should be able to use the iCalendar format directly. I do
not know if the current development branch can deal with both formats.

Regards,
-- martin

President next year."
  -- Wally O'Dell - CEO of Diebold, Inc.