Question about Kolab XML Format

Gustavo Michels gustavo.michels at ig.com.br
Wed Oct 13 14:20:58 CEST 2004

Hi Bernhard

Em Wednesday 13 October 2004 07:08, Bernhard Reiter escreveu:
> This brings me to the question: What clients are connected
> to the Exchange server?
> It always was my understanding that Outlook clients
> do not save calendar data as iCalendar in files.

Outlook 2000 and Outlook Web Access only. At first I also thought Exchange
would never store the data in such way, but while I was experimenting with
imapsync, I suddenly saw all my events on Kontact only by copying the data
over. I searched a little about Exchange's calendar data format, but
couldn't find much information.

> That might simply be a bug, if you choose to only work
> with iCalendar/vCard (Kolab1 storage format) which means
> you cannot interact with other and more modern clients
> and basically stay with Kontact, this legacy support should work.
> (Note that Kontact is software under development.)

So it is probably a bug. Should I file a bug report at bugs.kde.org or wait
until it eventually gets fixed?

About using the legacy format, I plan to enable the horde webclient, and I
am concerned about horde using the new storage format. If I stay in legacy
mode, does that mean I won't be able to use the webclient?

> You should be able to use a Kontact in Kolab1 mode
> and then save the data to your local disc; switch to Kolab2 storage
> and then import them into Kontact from disc.
> Importing is the way to get iCalendard and VCards into Kontact.

Yes, that's one way, but I need to do mass migration, so there must be a way
to script the process.

> There is a draft snapshot of the format spec in the Documentation
> section of www.kolab.org. This is under development and the discussion
> happens on the kolab-format list. The latest draft is always
> accessible in public CVS.
>
> As I wrote above, using KDE technology it should be quite easy to write
> a translator. (Note that such a mapping will not perfect, which is one
> of the reason we went to the new storage format.)

Well, I guess the main part of it is already done. When you manually import
vCards/iCals in Kontact to Kolab using the XML format, it already does some
kind of convertion to the new format. Maybe i can reuse this code, if I
ever know where it is. :)

Thanks
Gustavo