cannot authenticate to server with as cyrus

bruno bruno at wincom.be
Fri Oct 8 15:39:34 CEST 2004

Dear people,

We've been running Kolab without a hitch in our company for some eight
months - untill disaster struck: due to a hardware error, the server
crashed. The only backup I have is the /var/spool/imap - folder, containing
all the mails for the diff. users. According to the documenation, it should
be possible to reconstruct the mailboxes as user Cyrus with cyradm. The
problem is that cyradm does not accept the passwd for user cyrus (user
manager is no problem): I get the message "login failed: authentication
failure at
/usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.8.5/i386-linux-thread-multi/cyrus/imap/Admin.pm
line 118 cyradm: cannot authenticate to server with as cyrus". Syslog
mentions: server imap[15606]: bad login: server.xxxxx.lcl [127.0.0.1]
plaintext cyrus SASL(-13): authentication failure: checkpass failed. Tried
passwd cyrus , saslpasswd2 cyrus, .

Any help would really be appreciated: this is driving me crazy, and since
I'm not really a Linux-wizard.

 Fresh install of mandrake 10.0; latest kolab 1.0 installed with Urpmi;
toltec connector to outlook 2003 (great stuff - and dirt cheap)

Best regards,

Bruno.