ldap, sasl problem during boot_strap

Mathieu Blondel mblondel at cerdd.org
Thu Jun 10 20:03:54 CEST 2004

Hi,

I'm new to topics such as cyrus-imap,sasl and ldap. I'm getting more and
more comfortable with ldap but cyrus-imap and sasl remain obscure to me. To
the kolab developpers' mind, are the kolab-server admins supposed to know
all those technologies ?

But here is my problem.
I'm running Mandrake 10.0 Official and have setup kolab-server-1.0-0.23.100
thanks to urpmi (I didn't use the openpkg method).

At the end of the rpm install, I'm invited to run this command
/usr/sbin/kolab_bootstrap -b which causes problems :

The problem comes from ldap. Here is an extract of what is displayed by this
command (I have removed what seems to be ok) :

 ---
no dc=lune,dc=mydomain,dc=com object found, creating one
failed to write basedn entry : Unknown error at
/usr/sbin/kolab_bootstrap.real line 170, <DATA> line 283.
no kolab config object in ldap, generating a reasonable default
mynetworkinterfaces: 127.0.0.0/8
failed to write entry: Unknown error at /usr/sbin/kolab_bootstrap.real line
225, <DATA> line 283.
failed to write entry: Unknown error at /usr/sbin/kolab_bootstrap.real line
233, <DATA> line 283.
failed to write entry: Unknown error at /usr/sbin/kolab_bootstrap.real line
241, <DATA> line 283.
failed to write entry: Unknown error at /usr/sbin/kolab_bootstrap.real line
250, <DATA> line 283.
failed to write entry: Unknown error at /usr/sbin/kolab_bootstrap.real line
259, <DATA> line 283.
failed to write entry: Unknown error at /usr/sbin/kolab_bootstrap.real line
268, <DATA> line 283.
failed to write entry: Unknown error at /usr/sbin/kolab_bootstrap.real line
276, <DATA> line 283
 ---

lune.mydomain.com is in my /etc/hosts file.

When executing /etc/init.d/kolab-server start, all services start correctly
except I have the following error : Can't call method "attributes" on an
undefined value at /usr/sbin/kolab line 353, <DATA> line 283.

The admin web interface has two problems :
1) Warning: main(session_vars.php): failed to open stream: No such file or
directory in /var/www/html/kolab/admin/include/headfoot.php on line 9 (not
related to the ldap problem but the file doesn't exist, I commented the line
now)
2) Warning: ldap_bind(): Unable to bind to server: Can't contact LDAP server
in /var/www/html/kolab/admin/include/ldap_utils.php on line 90
could not bind anonymously

I think the problem may be caused by sasl. Indeed,

this does not work :

[root at lune urpmi]# ldapsearch -b "dc=lune,dc=ffworld,dc=com"
"(objectclass=*)"
ldap_sasl_interactive_bind_s: No such attribute (16)

but this does :
[root at lune urpmi]# ldapsearch -b "dc=lune,dc=ffworld,dc=com"
"(objectclass=*)"
ldap_sasl_interactive_bind_s: No such attribute (16)
[root at lune urpmi]# ldapsearch -b "dc=lune,dc=ffworld,dc=com"
"(objectclass=*)" -x
# extended LDIF
#
# LDAPv3
# base <dc=lune,dc=ffworld,dc=com> with scope sub
# filter: (objectclass=*)
# requesting: ALL
#

# search result
search: 2
result: 32 No such object

# numResponses: 1

This command is supposed to show me all the objects in the directory. The -x
parameter means sasl is not used for auth.

Also : there is no .dbb file in my /var/lib/ldap directory (the one defined
in the "directory" option of slapd.conf).

If the problem is really due to sasl, I don't know how to fix it. And then
any help woulb be really enjoyed!

Any other clue is also ok of course.

Thank you very much for your help. I hope I'm clear enough and not too
verbose. I'm really impatient to have kolab-server working :) Features list
is really attractive.

MB