Mailstore on NFS.

Paul Gargan pgargan at nexgenfs.com
Wed Jun 9 17:46:18 CEST 2004

Hi all,

We're trying to migrate our company mail setup to Kolab. We've lots of
users, and they each have lots of mail (Microsoft Office attachments, etc).

Our existing mailstore is on a NetApp filer, mounted over NFS.

Kolab (or specifically, Cyrus) doesn't seem to like NFS.
Archive messages as far back as mid-2002 recommend against it:

http://lists.kde.org/?l=kroupware&m=103311336632230&w=2

http://lists.kde.org/?l=kroupware&m=105949348819830&w=2

My own testing reveals problems. Postfix will accept the mail, and
dispatch it over LMTP. It gets written correctly to the NFS mounted
directory (correct permissions, owner, etc) but Cyrus' index files don't
seem to get updated properly.

When the mailbox is queried over IMAP, it correctly reports the number
of mails, but trying to FETCH any ones that have been delivered when the
spool was mounted on NFS returns a totally blank message.

We need to place the mailspool on the filer since it will grow very
large. Having it on the filer also allows backups / snapshots, and
permits quick recovery if the mail server dies (just drop in a
replacement machine and point it at the NFS mailstore).

Questions:

Is there *any* way to make Kolab / Cyrus work with an NFS mounted spool?
If not, is there any Cyrus-compatible way to access a remote spool?

Thanks in advance,
Paul.