Errors in installing the server

Shachar Shemesh kolab at shemesh.biz
Fri Jul 16 23:41:20 CEST 2004

Hi all,

I'm trying to install kolab on Debian Woody (3.0), using the RPMs
available from www.erfrakon.de. I downloaded them all into the machine,
and ran the openpkg bootstrap script.

I then start installing the RPMs according to the order dictated by
section 3.2.2 of http://kroupware.org/technical-1.0.1-html/x136.html.

Problem no. 1 - not all of the RPMs listed in the section as required
are available for download. I apt-get the missing ones, hoping that
kolab will be able to use them.

Problem no. 2 - some RPMs have dependencies not covered by the document.
I install perl-openpkg and perl-time (IIRC correctly) to compensate.

I then move on to installing kolab itself. RPM install order is detailed
at http://kroupware.org/technical-1.0.1-html/x272.html. The version
numbers are not 100% accurate, and I use latest available as much as I can.

Problem no. 3 - monit rpm is nowhere to be found. It doesn't seem
required, though.

When kolab is installed (I tried with both version 1.0-1.0.20 and
1.0-1.0.16), I get a message saying:

> For a fresh install please initialize Kolab and run
> '/kolab/etc/kolab/kolab_bootstrap -b' as user root.
>
> If you upgraded from a previous version simply refresh Kolab and run
> '/kolab/etc/kolab/kolab -o -v' as user root.
>
> In every case execute '/kolab/etc/rc.d/rc.kolab restart' as user root.

Ok, bootstrap it is. This is what I get:

> devlingnuserv:~/kolab# /kolab/etc/kolab/kolab_bootstrap -b
>
> KOLAB BOOTSTRAP
>
> Please enter Hostname [devlingnuserv]:
> proceeding with Hostname devlingnuserv
> Please enter your Maildomain [devlingnuserv]:
> proceeding with Maildomain devlingnuserv
> Generating default configuration:
>  base_dn : dc=devlingnuserv
>  bind_dn : cn=manager,dc=devlingnuserv
> Please choose a manager password [pg/fxsfzM2iDQ]:
>  bind_pw : pg/fxsfzM2iDQ
> done modifying /kolab/etc/kolab/kolab.conf
>
> IMPORTANT NOTE:
> use login=manager and passwd=pg/fxsfzM2iDQ when you log into the
> webinterface!
>
> prepare LDAP database...
> kill running slapd (if any)
> temporarily start slapd
> no dc=devlingnuserv object found, creating one
> failed to write basedn entry : modifications require authentication at
> /kolab/etc/kolab/kolab_bootstrap line 171, <DATA> line 283.
> no kolab config object in ldap, generating a reasonable default
> mynetworkinterfaces: 127.0.0.0/8, 172.16.19.0/24
> failed to write entry: modifications require authentication at
> /kolab/etc/kolab/kolab_bootstrap line 226, <DATA> line 283.
> failed to write entry: modifications require authentication at
> /kolab/etc/kolab/kolab_bootstrap line 234, <DATA> line 283.
> failed to write entry: modifications require authentication at
> /kolab/etc/kolab/kolab_bootstrap line 242, <DATA> line 283.
> failed to write entry: modifications require authentication at
> /kolab/etc/kolab/kolab_bootstrap line 251, <DATA> line 283.
> failed to write entry: modifications require authentication at
> /kolab/etc/kolab/kolab_bootstrap line 260, <DATA> line 283.
> failed to write entry: modifications require authentication at
> /kolab/etc/kolab/kolab_bootstrap line 269, <DATA> line 283.
> failed to write entry: modifications require authentication at
> /kolab/etc/kolab/kolab_bootstrap line 277, <DATA> line 283.
> LDAP setup finished
>
> Create initial config files for postfix, apache, proftpd, cyrus imap,
> saslauthd
>  running /kolab/etc/kolab/kolab -v -o -lldap://127.0.0.1:389/
> Can't call method "attributes" on an undefined value at
> /kolab/etc/kolab/kolab line 353, <DATA> line 283.
>
> kill temporary slapd
>
> generate self-signed certificate for hostname devlingnuserv... done
> New certificate has been installed under /kolab/etc/kolab/
> kolab should now be ready to run
> please run '/kolab/etc/rc.d/rc.kolab start'

Ok, I'm out of my depth here. Why does the ldap authentication fail on
our agreed password? What is wrong here?

Can anyone help me, please? Should I have simply gotten the packages
from elsewhere?

                   Shachar

--
Shachar Shemesh