Solaris 8 Compiling/Installing GCC rpm not possible

Andrea Soliva soliva at comcept.ch
Tue Aug 3 14:48:29 CEST 2004

Hi all

now I'm trying to install kolab for about 3 weeks and tried several ways but
allways after installing openpkg which works on my opinion well I could
install make, patch, binutils but NOT GCC. I have several error messages but
not really error messages which I could troubleshoot etc. It seems there is a
problem with compiling GCC. What I also noticed that it is NOT possible to
compile and install with the original Packages from Companion CD it means
following Packages are installed on the system:

SunSolaris sun4u sparc architecture 270Mhz Installation based on "core" and
default shell is Kornshell:

	SUNWtoox	Programming Tools 64bit
	SUNWtoo		Programming Tools
	SUNWlibCx	Sun WorkShop Bundled 64bit libC
	SUNWlibC	Sun WorkShop Comp. Bundled libC
	SUNWbcp		SUN OS 4.X Binary Comp.
	SUNWowbcp	Open Win. binary Comp.
	SUNWscbcp	SPARCompiles Binary Comp. Lib.
	SUNWscpr	Source Comp. (Root)
	SUNWscpu	Source Comp. (Usr)
	SUNWipcx	Interprozess Communication 64bit
	SUNWipc		Interprozess Communication
	SUNWarcx	Archiv libraries 64bit
	SUNWarc		Archiv libraries
	SUNWgzip	The GNU Zip (gzip) compression
	SUNWlibm	Sun Workshop Bundled libm
	SUNWbtoox	CCS tools bundled with OS 64bit
	SUNWbtool	CCS tools bundled with OS
	SUNWhea		Sun OS Header Files
	SUNWsprox	Solaris Bundled tools
	SUNWsprot	Solaris Bundled tools
	SFWgcmn		gcmn - Common GNU PackageCompagnion
	SFWgcc		gcc - GNU Compiler Collection
	SFWgm4		Gnu 4m - macro processor
	SFWaconf	autoconf - GNU autoconf
	SFWamake	automake - GNU automake
	SUNWadmr	System & Network Administration Root
	SUNWbzip 	Bzip tool
	SUNWcar		Core Architecture, (Root)
	SUNWcg6		GX (cg6) Device Driver
	SUNWcsd		Core Solaris Devices
	SUNWcsl		Core Solaris, (Shared Libs)
	SUNWcsr		Core Solaris, (Root)
	SUNWcsu		Core Solaris, (User)
	SUNWdfb		Core Dumb Frame Buffer Device Drivers
	SUNWesu		Extended System Utilities
	SUNWhmd		SunSwift SBus Adapter
	SUNWkey		Keyboard configuration tables
	SUNWkvm		Core Architecture, (Kvm)
	SUNWlibms	SUN Workshop Bundled shared libm
	SUNWloc		System Localization
	SUNWnamos	Northern America OS Support
	SUNWpl5u	Perl 5.005_03
	SUNWrmodu	Realmode Modules, (User)
	SUNWswmt	Install and Patch Utilities

Download all sources from efrakon site and install like in
http://www.erfrakon.de/projects/kolab/download/kolab-server-1.0/src/QIM noted
it means:

sh ./openpkg-20030606-20030606.src.sh --prefix=/kolab --user=kolab \
--group=kolab 2>&1 | tee kolab.log

- controll if kolab.log has errors (There are no errors but warnings about
  missing pointer char....)

sh -x ./openpkg-20030606-20030606.sparc64-solaris2.8-kol.sh

- controll if user/group/shadow was updated
- controll if /etc/init.d/kolab is there
- start the init script with /etc/init.d/kolab start
- modify /kolab/.bashrc for the PATH Variables /kolab/bin:/kolab/sbin
- change to user kolab it means su - kolab

/kolab/bin/rpm -ihv *.src.rpm

- controll if env openpkg is there and rpm commands will function

- exit to user root and beginn to compile and install the different packages
like the analogous list:

cd  /kolab/RPM/SRC/make
/kolab/bin/rpm --define "use_cc /opt/sfw/bin/gcc" -bb make.spec
/kolab/bin/rpm -Uhv /kolab/RPM/PKG/makexxxxxxxxxxxxxx.4-kol.rpm

- do this for patch, binutils and gcc

GCC will end with error! We compile all our applications and we had in the
past NEVER a problem with compiliation etc. Anyway, after this I tried to
analyze and it looks like the GCC from default installation (2.97) is not
compatible. I deinstalled the whold Packes SFWxxxx and downloded from
sunfreeware following Packages:

gcc 3.4.1 (small package)
bison 1.75
flex 2.5.4a
texinfo 4.2
ncurses 5.3
autoconf 2.57
automake 1.7.2
make 3.8
libiconc 1.8

- install all packages and look that PATH Variables are set correctly! Delete
all users and sources as dir /kolab and then beginn installation again. There
are warnings about like 'mode' is not a GCC extension or 'type' is not a GCC
extension. Anyway it will not break the installation and until GCC it would
work again with no problems but GCC ends after 2 1/2 hour with an error:

could not build rpms:

Could anybody help me...! Anybody a really good documentation of installing
Kolab on SunSolaris 8! Any help will be appriciated.

Andrea