Question: Individual annotations vs One large annotation (conceptual riddle for the interested)

Jeroen van Meeuwen (Kolab Systems) vanmeeuwen at kolabsys.com
Tue Oct 11 18:58:53 CEST 2011

On 11.10.2011 14:44, Gunnar Wrobel wrote:
> Quoting "Jeroen van Meeuwen (Kolab Systems)"
> <vanmeeuwen at kolabsys.com>:
>> On 11.10.2011 13:14, Gunnar Wrobel wrote:
>>> Of course you would still get your data out in most cases - you'd
>>> export/import it as iCal, vCards and so on. But that is basically
>>> what
>>> you get if you store your groupware data on any of the other
>>> groupware
>>> solutions around. The Kolab format would however allow you to
>>> switch
>>> from one provider to another by the same means people employ
>>> nowadays
>>> if they switch mail providers.
>>>

>> Tell me, what is the standard methodology *people* employ to switch
>> mail providers?
>
> Outlook PST. I'm guessing though.
>
>> And what is the method for groupware providers?
>
> Again guessing: In many cases this will be done by administrators in
> the background. If users switch on their own it will be a combination
> of iCal, vCard, PST and/or imapsync.

The general gist of it is migration through export/import, for as far
as groupware data not email is concerned. Email can often "simply" be
migrated over between providers by attaching a client to copy over the
data (including clients such as imapsync or offlineimap).

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen

--
Senior Engineer, Kolab Systems AG