Question: Individual annotations vs One large annotation (conceptual riddle for the interested)

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Wed Oct 5 11:24:24 CEST 2011

Am Sunday, 2. October 2011 18:55:24 schrieb Jeroen van Meeuwen (Kolab
Systems):
> > I could read out some possible technical advantages for using one large
> > one, but to me they are not the deciding factor. Many problems will have
> > to be solved for one annotation and this also means they can be solved
> > for many annotations as well.
>
> I've already stated for individual annotations all clients require the list
> of full paths of the annotations in order to be able to determine whether
> or not there could be any problem. The problem stated does *not* exist with
> using one annotation, and does exist with multiple annotations - to argue
> the same problems need to be resolved in each proposed solution is therefor
> false.

You could make one known annotation to contain the list of dynamic
annotations if this is the issue. On the other hand, if a client wants
to understand the contents of a configuration option, it would know the
designated annotation for it as well.

> > ps.: Just asking myself two questions again: Is there a notification
> > system for changed annotations in the IMAP protocol and implemented in
> > Cyrus IMAPD and Dovecot? Is annotation length still limited and does not
> > count towards the quota?
>
> Yes, there is a notification system, annotation size is not limited, and it
> does count towards the quota.

Ah, good. It's been a while since I've looked at part of this from the
technical level.

--
Managing Director + Owner: www.Intevation.net <- A Free Software Company
Kolabsys.com: Board Member          FSFE.org: Founding GA Member