Pre-KEP input sought: Priority for events? (in line =?iso-8859-1?q?with=09tasks=3F?=)(similar to VEVENT & VTODO?)

Georg C. F. Greve greve at kolabsys.com
Tue Jun 7 16:41:55 CEST 2011

Hi Shawn,

Thanks a lot for the feedback!

On Tuesday 31 May 2011 21.47:04 Shawn Walker wrote:
>                 Outlook iCalendar
> Urgent          1       0 to 3
> Normal          0       4 to 6
> Non Urgent      -1      7 to 9

Shouldn't urgent map to 1-3?

Because according to iCalendar, 0 means "unspecified" priority.

Also I am guessing this is iCalendar to Outlook mapping? What do you do for
the other direction? 1 -> 2, 0 -> 5 and -1 -> 8?

For me it is clear that priorities need to be possible, just as Doug
highlighted, some users expect them, and even if many of us do not find them
overly useful in many scenarios, Outlook & iCalendar have them, so we should
also do them.

So right now we have as existing approaches:

	Outlook:		-1, 0, 1
	iCalendar: 	0-9
	Kolab:		1-5

The feedback that priorities for tasks in Kolab are not heavily used to
anyone's knowledge would indicate that we are less restricted in how we want
to go about this, but like most people, I have a strong desire for consistency
within the Kolab format.

So I am now honestly considering to propose to model priorities according to
what iCalendar does (so a missing priority value would equal "0") commonly for
Tasks & Events and follow Shawn's suggestion of establishing a common mapping
for all clients to increase consistency.

This should be largely consistent for older data sets and eliminates one
potential step for conversion and thus loss (between Kolab and iCalendar).

Comments? Thoughts? Suggestions?

Best regards,
Georg

--