Recurring events with timezone

Georg C. F. Greve greve at kolabsys.com
Thu Oct 28 16:20:15 CEST 2010

Hi Tobias,

These time zone issues are often a headache that can turn your brain into
knots. So I'm happy that I managed to explain the problem in a way that it
becomes clearer. :)

On Thursday 28 October 2010 16.07:14 Tobias König wrote:
> Either the client, which creates the  recurring event, splits the event up
> in two recurring events, one for each DST  mode. Then during summertime a
> recurring event with 08:00 UTC is used and during winter one with 07:00 UTC.

How would that work?

And how would the clients know against which DST zone to adjust their local
time, e.g. how does the Brazilian client know that it is supposed to take
07:00 UTC / 08:00 UTC based on the German DST zone?

> And the other solution is indeed the storage of timezone information
> inside  the format.

That is what several people have advocated one way or another.

The question is: Which is the best way of doing that?

The two options I have seen presented so far are:

 	(a) Change storage from UTC to local time zone

	(b) Retain storage in UTC, and introduce time zone information in another
field, e.g. in recurrance.

We obviously want all clients, and Kontact in particular, to be able to do
this right immediately from the moment we introduce a change to the format.

As you are part of the Kontact side of things, which is the approach that
would work best for the KDE PIM environment?

Note: The same question goes for everyone else, including Toltec, Bynari & Co.

Best regards,
Georg

--
Georg C. F. Greve