Recurring events with timezone

Tobias König tobias.koenig at kdab.com
Thu Oct 28 16:07:14 CEST 2010

On Thursday 28 October 2010 15:37:03 Georg C. F. Greve wrote:
> Hi Tobias,
Hej Georg,

> User A lives in Germany and makes appointments with users B, C, D who live
> in the United States, South Africa, and Brazil. They meet via video
> conference every Monday 10:00 local German time, because that is when user
> A booked the teleconferencing room to allow others from the local team to
> join the meeting.
Ahh, now things starts to clear up. I assumed the problem is displaying the
UTC time depending on recurring events, but here we have the 'change UTC to
follow a specific local time' problem.

In this case there are two solutions: Either the client, which creates the
recurring event, splits the event up in two recurring events, one for each DST
mode. Then during summertime a recurring event with 08:00 UTC is used and
during winter one with 07:00 UTC.
And the other solution is indeed the storage of timezone information inside
the format. So sorry for the confusion and thanks for the example!

Ciao,
Tobias
Tobias Koenig | tobias.koenig at kdab.com
Tel. Germany +49-30-521325470, Sweden (HQ) +46-563-540090