names of default folders (Re: [Kolab-devel] autocreate functionalities in cyrus)

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Sun Nov 14 14:24:29 CET 2010

On Saturday 13 November 2010 01:46:22 Jeroen van Meeuwen (Kolab Systems)
wrote:
> On Friday, November 12, 2010 12:09:18 pm Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> > When we thought about this, we deliberately did not do this as it adds an
> > unnecessary requirement and it is a source for trouble, because then we
> > have two markers for defaults folders: The standard name and the
> > annotation. Furthermore people like to have different names in their
> > folders and this is highly dependent on whom they are sharing the folders
> > with. So there is no easy default language in a Kolab installation where
> > people have different languages.
>
> I think that for the default groupware folders created when the user first
> logs in and no groupware folders exist yet, the wrong choice has been made.

I still believe the choice is good.

> Any Kolab client SHOULD;
>
> 1) use the properly annotated default folder first (e.g.
> /vender/kolab/folder- type event.default),

Yes. And there is only one of these folders in your own account.

> 2) use any folder annotated correctly but not default per-se (e.g.
> /vendor/kolab/folder-type event) and possibly ask to choose/confirm the
> default folder,

No, in this case the client has to create the event.default folder.
It could ask to chance one of the existing folders into it, but this can get
overly complicated.

> 3) create a properly annotated default folder in the English language.
>
> Step 3) is the proper approach because it can then be localized using the
> client application's l10n settings, which cannot be done if the source
> language is arbitrary and the target language is arbitrary.

I believe you are wrong here, any default folder will only exist once,
e.g. event.default. So you could easily display it in your local language if
you wanted to. This way it even is canonical and does not depend on several
English terms of naming the function itself.
However I would not do it, if people using this folder work together, they
must have a convention for this or speak on common language anyway, so there
is not need to govern this. It would only create more unnecessary rules
to make English default folder names mandatory.

(A small argument for keeping the real user names is that regular IMAP clients
will display them as is and you do not need to keep more information.)

> Step 1 and 2
> will prevent additional folders from being created by accident, and can
> thus be used to catch legacy scenarios, as well as scenarios in which the
> client chooses to in fact, effectively, rename the annotated default folder
> to something no program can translate during it's presentation.

A single annotation like event.default could be displayed in local language
much easier. The ability to have your own foldernames for the event.default
function is a plus.

Bernhard

Deputy Germany Coordinator: fsfeurope.org. Coordinator: Kolab-Konsortium.com.
Intevation GmbH, Neuer Graben 17, Osnabrück, DE; AG Osnabrück, HRB 18998