private Objects stored on a Kolab Server was: "privat" Outlook objects

Martin Konold martin.konold at erfrakon.de
Tue Aug 19 12:13:29 CEST 2008

Am Dienstag 12 August 2008 15:51:59 schrieb Bernhard Reiter:

Hi Bernhard,

I am back from vacations.

> What do you think?

We discussed this approach before.

The problems are:

- Fragility:
  Storage fragmentation is hidden from a users perspective. This can easily
  lead to unexpected results e.g. if a folder or a single message is moved or
  ACLs are  manipulated. It can easily happen that the result is incoherent

- Inconsistency
  What about UI elements which act on a whole set of folders. E.g. allow
  access to a secretary e.g.

- Security:
  private data is still available in plain text on the server.

I therefore remain proposing a solution based on encryption which allows to be
extended to be embedded in other security infrastructures like Smartcards,
Certificate authorities, PGP Keyrings,....

If you want I can reiterate my proposal again.

Yours,
-- martin
P.S.: Please don't forget that private objects are not limited to calender
entries.
P.P.S.: With OL/Ex private objects can be seen only by the account owner, not
by the delegates.

--
e r f r a k o n
Sitz: Adolfstraße 23, 70469 Stuttgart, Partnerschaftsregister Stuttgart PR 126