IMAP annotation for groupware folder descriptions

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Tue Oct 9 14:44:04 CEST 2007

Hi Joon,

On Tuesday 25 September 2007 07:34, Joon Radley wrote:
> Should we just move completely to the hidden message solution and avoid all
> the issue with the annotation database and the fact that it seems that the
> annotation extension will not be widely adopted by other IMAP4 servers and
> only partially by Cyrus?

I think so far that the annotation solution is good and we should keep it.
When looking at the discussion I believe that there are two issues:

a.1) Should the Horde capability be kept to add a description for a folder?
   a.2) If so, how? With annotations there would be the question: Which one?
        It would only be one annotation, so this is no problem to configure
	   Cyrus to allow it.

I think a.1) should first be decided,
the discussion was started on kolab-devel.
I still maintain that it is not necessary and should be disabled in the Kolab
Horde driver for consistency reasons with other clients and lack of
additional value.

b) How many variety do we need with annotation names for Toltec?
Joon, I did so far not realize that you need to be free to change the
annotation-name itself. I believe that we can develop a method that can
be implemented in Cyrus that allows for subtypes to be choosen.
It just would be a bit more complicated in the implementation,
as it would need to take a limit into account. It should be no problem
to always keep patches around that losen this limit for now.
So there is no reason to chance the client implementations.
Joon: Can you give us an example of a list of annotations that _could_
sometimes be created for a folder?

Bernhard