event XML 1.1 (fix recurrances)

Gerd v. Egidy gerd.von.egidy at intra2net.com
Wed Jan 31 14:14:42 CET 2007

Hi Joon,

> > 4. Alice then changes one attendee for the third occurance in
> > Outlook. (To my knowledge Toltec Connector does not prevent
> > the user from doing this and this operation is offered by the
> > Outlook GUI to the user)

> What part of "a new object is created" do you not understand? The moment
> you hit step 4 a second object is created with the new attendees.

I tried to reproduce the problems with "new objects" you are describing: I
installed Outlook 2000 SP3, created a new profile with a regular empty pst
and put one recurring event in it. Then I changed the attendees of one
occurrence.

When observing the MAPI structures with OutlookSpy I could see that there is
no new IMessage created in the folder (see screenshot "folder.png"), the
folder still contains just one object.

When looking at the IMessage object of the whole event I could see that it now
contains an attachment which wasn't there before changing the attendees (see
screenshot "attachment.png"). I was able to open this attachment using
OpenAttach - it is the same thing that appears if you look at the IMessage
object of the changed occurrence.

I compared this behavior agains Outlook 2003 SP2. It creates an attachment for
such changes too. The only difference I could see is that there are some
additional properties in the attachment.

So as far as I understand it, OL in both version uses "standard" MAPI
techniques like attachments to store the changes. I do not see why that
should make it impossible to reliably convert between OL and Kolab-XML.

Kind regards,

Gerd