priority specification

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Mon Feb 27 13:28:42 CET 2006

Martin and I found the time to spend time on the phone
in order to help the progressing things.

The reason why we should touch the specification regarding priorities is:
Currently interoperability is broken as the clients interpret
our 1 to 5 range differently.

So when we need to touch the clients anyway soon,
we can as well try to do the right thing here.

Martin and I agree that
* users do not need more then three priorities in practice.
* We should stay as close to the standards as possible.
* We shall not break the Outlook user interface.

The possibility we propose is:
p101) Save the priority as 10 values as RFC 2445 suggests:
          0 = no priority selected
          1-9 = priorities, with 1 being higest

p102) The clients have a choice of how to display those ten values
          in principle. If a mapping is used towards low,  middle, high,
          RFC2445 mapping must be used.

         We suggest to use the mapping of RFC 2445 for
 	  low, middle, high and "no selection" for all clients with
          "no-selection" displayed and sorted as "middle" it not possible
         otherwise.

p103) The clients shall preserve the saved value, even when
           using a different mapping for display, if the priority is not
           changed.

Joon, Till, Johannes:
What do you think?

Bernhard