More IMAP Annotations (folder display name and translations)

Martin Konold martin.konold at erfrakon.de
Sun Sep 25 20:44:44 CEST 2005

Am Freitag 23 September 2005 17:36 schrieb Johannes Hirche:

Hi,

> I would recommend adding a single, optional (even for kolab clients)
> annotation /vendor/kolab/display-name
> with a qp encoded utf8 string of the displayname.
> It is up to the client to decide if it chooses to use the folder- or
> displayname, if possible, the displayname should be favored.

So you only want to have a single displayname annotation for a folder without
any translations?

IMHO translations are _really_ important in a global networked environment and
cannot be left to the clients as the clients can only guess the translations
successfully for the standard default folders and are doomed to fail in other
cases.

Doing the translations on the client side is conceptionally wrong as this is
using babelfish from the webbrowser instead of offering translations of
webpages via the original server.

Yours,
-- martin

--