Timezone needed?

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Wed Jun 23 10:41:13 CEST 2004

Hi Joon,

On Wed, Jun 23, 2004 at 06:25:46AM +0200, Joon Radley wrote:
> > On Wednesday 16 June 2004 04:34, Joon Radley wrote as answer
> > to Martin:
> > >
> > > Please motivate the "_need_".
> >
> > As far as I understood the local timezone would be needed
> > when making recurring appointments in a timezone where they
> > use daylight sayings.
> >
> > E.g. The company boss gives a speech each monday at 9:30, so
> > she will talk at 8:30UTC in the winter in Germany and at
> > 7:30UTC in the summer.
>
> But this is correct, the UTC times are different because you are in a
> different "time zone" when you are in daylight savings mode. When the mail
> client uses the operating system to translate from local time to UTC it
> takes into consideration daylight savings time.
>
> So in South Africa(UTC+0200) I can watch the web cast in winter at 10:30 and
> summer at 9:30. You will see the web cast in the winter (UTC+0100) at 9:30
> and in summer (UTC+0200) 9:30. So without knowing anything about your
> daylight savings time I will know exactly when the web cast will take place
> in any part of the world.

Yes, but my assumption is that we want to save this in one
one event (and save one email with it) having one time
that reoccurs each month.
So it say:
	each monday
	9:30 central european timezone with daylight saving,

This would work, but how would this work with UTC,
you would need to give several times and or make two event entries.

	Bernhard