Case sensitivity

David Faure dfaure at klaralvdalens-datakonsult.se
Tue Jun 15 11:49:00 CEST 2004

On Tuesday 15 June 2004 11:41, Martin Konold wrote:
> Am Dienstag, 15. Juni 2004 11:26 schrieb Bo Thorsen:
>
> Hi,
>
> > We decided on case insensitivity for tags and "enums". But it seems to be
> > very unusual to do this.
>
> Beeing case sensitive helps to make searches comparisions etc much easier and
> lightweigt beacuse there is no requirement for evaluation of regular
> expressions or for conversion. Therefore I agree that case sensitive is the
> better approach for an XML storage format.

Great.

One more note on that: Bo suggested <Note> instead of <note> or <NOTE>
(most of the storage format has title-cased words currently).
But it's more common in XML to use all-lowercase words.
Proper XML would even be <namespaceprefix:note>, but that's not necessary if there's
only one namespace being used, as is the case here.

I would suggest to use "<nick-name>" instead of "<NickName>", etc.
This would be more consistent with modern XML specs.

Is there a plan to write a formal schema for this XML format? In that case I would suggest
using XML Schema or RelaxNG instead of a DTD. This allows to validate existing files
throughly, including showing an error if a color was specified as "blue" instead of #FF0000,
which a DTD doesn't allow. If there's some interest in this (and time for it), I could write
a RelaxNG schema that we could all use to validate the generated XML.

> > David Faure who is on the OASIS Office XML specification board to help me
>
> Yes, please bring him onboard.
>
> Bernhard. Can you please add David to this ml?

I'm in :)

David Faure -- faure at kde.org, dfaure at klaralvdalens-datakonsult.se
Qt/KDE/KOffice developer