Naming of attachments

Karl-Heinz Zimmer khz at klaralvdalens-datakonsult.se
Mon Jul 19 13:36:38 CEST 2004

Am Montag, 19. Juli 2004 11:16 schrieb Bernhard Reiter:
> On Friday 16 July 2004 16:42, David Faure wrote:
> > Currently we look for the kolab XML attachment by mimetype, to update
> > it when modifying the note/contact/event/etc.
>
> Out of curiosity: In my understanding you need to create
> a new mail when you change anything and put that in the sync queue.
> Of course you need to find the data, but this is not really
> "updating".

Yes, Bernhard, that's correct.

There is no reliable ay to "update" a mail that's stored already.

Of course you still can "update" the information stored in this mail:
by having KMail store a fresh mail instead of the old one.

One reason for this is that KMail was not primarily designed as a
database application but as a MUA.  While we _can_ use it to handle
storing/retrieving KOLAB data there are a few drawbacks like this one.

IM(H)O these drawbacks are not so serious that they would prevent
KMail from being a useful tool for this job.

just my 2 pence  ;-)

Karl-Heinz
--
Karl-Heinz Zimmer, Senior Software Engineer, Klarälvdalens Datakonsult AB
<mailto:khz at klaralvdalens-datakonsult.se>            <mailto:khz at kde.org>

** Qt Components, Platform Independent Software, Qt Courses, Mentoring **