[Kolab-devel] Updated OBS, CentOS 8 support, Python 3 support

Christian Mollekopf mollekopf at apheleia-it.ch
Mon Aug 15 14:51:40 CEST 2022

Hi,

The OBS and it's workers have been updated and everything should be fully functional again.

The update has unlocked a couple of things for us:
* Modularity support for CentOS 8 and friends
* The workers are now Ubuntu 22.04 compatible, so packaging on that front can proceed.
* We now have a ppc64le builder

With regards to CentOS8 you may have noticed the new CentOS_8_Stream repository. Given that CentOS 8 is EOL, I'm working on getting Kolab up and running on CentOS 8 Stream as the future flagship distribution for Kolab. The intention is that e.g. the dockerized Kolab 4 setup will be based on the CentOS 8 Stream packages.

One major aspect of bringing Kolab to CentOS 8 is getting libkolabxml, libkolab and pykolab to work with python3. For the first two I think we're in pretty good shape by now. pykolab still requires major work, but I got it to a usable state in Kolab:16:Testing (dev/python3 branch in git). I expect the pykolab changes to still require a bunch of cleanup, especially as I didn't take care of python2 backwards compatibility in this initial effort to just get it to work.

Cheers,
Christian