[Kolab-devel] kolab and real-time communication (chat, etc)

Aaron Seigo aseigo at mykolab.com
Tue Nov 22 10:20:53 CET 2016

On Monday, November 21, 2016 21.53:51 Tobias Brunner wrote:
> That's exactly my concern about Mattermost too! Therefore we're
> currently using Rocket.Chat (https://rocket.chat/docs/) which looks and
> feels much more open. It connects well to the Kolab LDAP directory.
> What
> are your concerns about Rocket.Chat?

While I had an account on their demo from .. I don't know how far back
.. this is actuall one of the few options out there that we didn't look
over, tbh. I've grabbed the repository to look at it now.

It's a Meteor app .. meh. But it is actively developed, looks pretty and
certainly has a number of the "right" features.

Need to look at the integration, multi-tennant, and scalability stories.
Will do so today.

> And then there is Matrix which looks like to be the new federated chat
> protocol: http://matrix.org/. It features the nice looking Riot
> messaging app: https://riot.im/. What do you think about Matrix? Why
> not
> base the new Kolab IM on this protocol and re-use/integrate Synapse
> (https://github.com/matrix-org/synapse)?

I've gone over synapse in some depth and my concerns for it are a mix
of:

  * still unproven and has low adoption (so using it has limited benefit
to us)
  * python and scalability ...
  * still rapidly chaging .. a moving target is a bit hard

That said, it would be quite plausible to support the matrix API after
the fact. Other projects have done this as well. So while synapse may be
of low interest, the protocol may yet be of interest. It isn't a pretty
API, but what's new, right? :)

XMPP remains higher priority as there is "actual" demand for it
currently.

--
Aaron Seigo