[Kolab-devel] kolab and real-time communication (chat, etc)

Tobias Brunner tobias at tobru.ch
Mon Nov 21 21:53:51 CET 2016

Hi,

>> What about Mattermost? https://www.mattermost.org/features/
>>
>> It needs a bridge to XMPP and WebRTC is as a future request but I
>> think it would win as a web based collaborative platform integrated
>> with Roundcube. Currently is integrated with GitLab.
>
> Unfortunately it is open core, which precludes our using it
> unfortunately. The LDAP support, for instance, is only in the Enterprise
> version.
>
> Beyond that, yes, we'd still have to provide the key features sets we
> are required to have (XMPP, WebRTC), and not all of the features
> provided fit our requirements..
>
> So, good idea, and thanks for the suggestion, but it's a round peg and
> we have a square hole :)

That's exactly my concern about Mattermost too! Therefore we're
currently using Rocket.Chat (https://rocket.chat/docs/) which looks and
feels much more open. It connects well to the Kolab LDAP directory. What
are your concerns about Rocket.Chat?

And then there is Matrix which looks like to be the new federated chat
protocol: http://matrix.org/. It features the nice looking Riot
messaging app: https://riot.im/. What do you think about Matrix? Why not
base the new Kolab IM on this protocol and re-use/integrate Synapse
(https://github.com/matrix-org/synapse)?

Cheers,
Tobias