[Kolab-devel] kolab and real-time communication (chat, etc)

Mihai Badici mihai at badici.ro
Sat Dec 17 13:59:22 CET 2016

It is a little bit ironic, but few days after we talk about the real time
communication i had a request to install rocket chat for a company where I
manage the servers ( and where, btw, I have kolab installed).
So i configured the chat to use the ldap directory; I'm not so sure how the
ldap integration is implemented but as i see this part is very basic. But that
part can be improved if needed ( and maybe i can contribute here).
This install give me the opportunity to update my knowledge in the real-time
chat area ( I was not fully aware of how webrtc works in my previous message);
well, probably is better first to read about the subject and then talk about
but sometime it is not the case :)
So, i have now, regarding kolab, a new dilemma : we can use webrtc to obtain
peer to peer chat and voice; but we can have the case when somebody use the
web client and the other one is on , let's say, pidgin, connected to the
jabber server. How can we manage that? We need to bridge the webrtc protocol
to the xmpp server somehow ... i think this is possible but there is some work
/documentation about that?