[Kolab-devel] XMPP integration in Kolab web client

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.org.uk
Tue Mar 11 19:12:23 CET 2014

On Tuesday 11. March 2014 11.09.52 Torsten Grote wrote:
> Hi Paul,
>
> On Sunday 16 February 2014 15:17:51 Paul Boddie wrote:
> > This setup-kolab work is still ongoing, although I managed to merge the
> > upstream 3.2 code with my own changes to pykolab and to test the package,
> > as  other recent messages from me have confirmed.
>
> Great, thanks a lot for your work! :)
>
> Has their meanwhile been any progress in merging your pykolab changes
> upstream?

They currently live here:

http://git.kolab.org/pykolab/log/?h=dev/boddie

I imagine that they may require substantial effort to merge, partly because
there were some large but functionally trivial "deltas" to start with, and
then refactoring has occurred on the pykolab.setup package. I did attempt to
merge upstream changes into my branch, but the merge in the other direction is
likely to be concerned with the finer points of what I've done rather than
whether it merges cleanly.

> > I should possibly also consider making a setup component
> > for  Converse that enables the plugin in Roundcube - it is missing from
> > /etc/roundcubemail/config.inc.php - and to deploy any necessary proxying
> > support in Apache.
>
> This might be part of the xmpp component though, no?

I guess it could be called that, but I separated the client and server parts
as part of my recent "Minimal Kolab" efforts:

https://blogs.fsfe.org/pboddie/?p=756

Converse is so specific - being XMPP in Roundcube - that setup_converse.py
seems OK, whereas I do concede that setup_ejabberd.py is perhaps a bit too
specific. Still, renaming and extending this is relatively straightforward if
anyone is ever interested in supporting other servers.

On the subject of generic naming, I extended setup_imap.py to support Dovecot
configuration, although there's definitely more work required to make it a
full Kolab component, I think.

Paul