[Kolab-devel] Upgrade report 3.1 to 3.2 on Debian Wheezy

Daniel Hoffend dh at dotlan.net
Tue Mar 11 17:31:12 CET 2014

Hi Thorsten

yes those 2 hotfixes made it into the obs repos. Couple days ago Jereon
updated the pykolab package when I'm checking the changelog in obs.
Maybe this fixed a couple pykolab bugs like the empty amavisd.conf on
centos systems during "setup-kolab mta".

I haven't had anytime to do any more tests in the last weeks. But when I
followed the mailing list I see lots of people complaining about the new
cyrus version. With changes like the cyrus ldap lookup patch it just
doesn't feel like a "drop-in" update for a groupware.

tbh (and this is just my opinion).

The upgrade procedures feels a bit rough and more like "testing in the
wild". Kolab Team is announcing a new 3.2 version (and people trust you
and think it's stable). When you look closer it feels really unstable
and untested. It began with 100% cpu look of kolabd, the missing upgrade
commands on debian packages (which i fixed in obs), the outdated mysql
initial file (while new user installs a non-working installation of
kolab), empty amavids.conf and a couple other initial bugs that
prevented new users from enjoy kolab and/or old users getting frustrated
with the upgrade process and the hickups. (I personally still run 3.1)
The users that have the joy of snapshotting their mailserver, upgrade
and rollback if it breaks is rare I guess, that's why

Tbh, the next time kolab announces a new version I really would like to
see a Release Candite announcement (like the 3.x version is ready for
testing in the Kolab:Development Repo), then focus a bit on fixing the
bugs that getting reported and after some time call it stable and move
it to the upcoming 3.x repo.
Maybe in the next weeks or month i find the time to digg into 3.2 again
and upgrade my system.

I just hope that you don't loose the trust the community puts into kolab
cause of unstable releases. Not everybody, especially small/private
installations don't ability to upgrade, rollback or whatever. This will
just lead to unhappyness and mailling list posts.

--
Regards
Daniel