[Kolab-devel] event triggered freebusy data generation

hede kolab983 at der-he.de
Fri Feb 28 10:21:27 CET 2014

Am Thu, 27 Feb 2014 08:52:50 -0500 schrieb Matt Moldvan <matt at moldvan.com>:

> We've had nothing but trouble with free/busy to the point we had to disable
> it (we are still running Kolab 2.3 ish).  65,000+ users now and it kills
> the load all of our mailbox servers when it was running through a cron
> job...

That's hardly surprising, AFAIK freebusyd has to read every single calendaring event of every single user on every single run. So reading 65000*x files every few minutes from imap store...

I can see there's some work done for an event triggered system. But AFAICS this will be implemented by using some web service in parallel to the imap service. The client has to manually set the free/busy-entries? I think this goes into the wrong direction. It's clearly foreseeable to result in inconsistencies between imap- and free/busy-Datastores if both use different ways to the storage pool.

I would prefer a solution where the imap daemon itself triggers an event with every new upload to a folder with type "calendar". This solution would be independent from any client-support. Even deleting events with some pure email-only-client would be fine.

Does cyrus support triggering some executable (e.g. a script) when pushing a message to an imap folder?

regards
hede