[Kolab-devel] CalDAV Collections vs. IMAP Folders

Thomas Brüderli bruederli at kolabsys.com
Wed Mar 27 17:57:12 CET 2013

On 27.03.13 13:54, Georg C. F. Greve wrote:
> On Wednesday 27 March 2013 13.29:13 Thomas Brüderli wrote:
>> Can we call this a final decision? Using a /vendor/kolab/name
>> annotation for display names and take the full IMAP path as UID for
>> *DAV collections?
>
> When I spoke about this with Jeroen, he had a strong opinion on
> re-using the comment annotation, which otherwise has no use we were
> aware of.
>
> It would have the benefitof not having to introduce yet another
> annotation, which also has a cost. We were driving at the time, so
> could not look up the actual definition of this annotation.
>
> In particular we were not sure this annotation is used anywhere, by
> anyone, as adding a comment of "My spam box" for /INBOX/Spam seems to
> add very little, and we struggled to come up with sensible uses for
> the annotation ourselves.
>
> If it turns out it is defined, but in fact not really used by anyone,
> using it for the symbolic name of the *DAV access would make a lot of
> sense.
>
> Unfortunately Jeroen is on vacation right now, and he should have the
> last say on this. But if you need to start working on this now, I'd
> suggest to start with the comment annotation, as that exists and is
> not used for Kolab otherwise, and we change it to a private annotation
> later if we must.
>
> Would that work for you?

Beside the semantics that don't really fit, it does.

Should we even consider to create a KEP for this? Reading through the
discussion in this thread this shall become the generic display name for
all clients and not only for *DAV. Otherwise different clients show
different names for the same folder and I don't think this is desirable.

~Thomas