[Kolab-devel] Calendar events sent to Outlook client do not work

Thomas Brüderli bruederli at kolabsys.com
Tue Jun 25 11:59:49 CEST 2013

Thomas Brüderli wrote:
>>> It's great that MS keeps their product generations in sync :-)
>>> Please find attached a patch that adds the Content-class: header. If
>>> that doesn't help, we can try the Gmail way and add the ics part with
>> I applied the patch but this still doesn't seem to work with Outlook
>> 2007 or OWA 2003. I haven't tested with the other versions yet. I can
>> confirm that the Content-Class header shows up in the headers of the
>> Outlook message. I think that Gmail's method seem to be the way to go at
>> this point.
>
> Dammit!
>
> Will you be able to manually compose a MIME message source with ICS data
> from Kolab that will work with all Outlook versions? I fear that our
> process of me writing a patch => you testing => reporting back that stuff
> is still broken doesn't scale...

Hello again

I now managed to install an Outlook 2003 and test various invitation
messages sent by Kolab, Google and others as well as trying manually
composed iTip messages. And the solution to make these work in Outlook <
2010 is to use Content-Type: multipart/alternative instead of

Now we still have to test whether changing the Content-Type will have
some negative side-effects for other clients. For the time being, please
find attached a patch that will fix your current Kolab/Roundcube
installation to work with Outlook.

Regards,
Thomas