[Kolab-devel] Wallace problems

Jeroen van Meeuwen (Kolab Systems) vanmeeuwen at kolabsys.com
Wed Feb 6 17:29:56 CET 2013

On 2013-01-29 19:24, Thorsten Knöller wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I had some problems with Wallace on my kolab 3 installation on Debian.
> Mails from some providers have been swallowed by Wallace for example
> steampowered.com and wunschliste.de were not working. I think the
> problem is the encoding of the mails.
>
> I did some changes in the wallace source and now everything seems to
> work.

Hi Thorsten,

appreciate your work, I've heard of others running in to the same or
similar issues before, but I haven't had the time to sink my teeth in to
it.

I have a couple of recommendations and concerns given the code snippets
you have listed:

> 2. /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/wallace/module_resources.py
> from: _message = json.load(open(filepath, 'r'))
> to: _message = json.load(open(filepath, 'r'), encoding='ISO-8859-1')
>
> 4. /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/wallace/modules.py (3 times)
> from: _message = json.load(open(filepath, 'r'))
> to: _message = json.load(open(filepath, 'r'), encoding='ISO-8859-1')

I reckon that reading in files as ISO-8859-1 is going to include only
latin-1 characters, is that correct?

For any sort of fix, I would target to include, for example, Cyrillic
support, as well as any other character set that has not yet popped up
on my radar so far.

> 3. /usr/lib/python2.7/email/parser.py
> from: from cStringIO import StringIO
> to: from StringIO import StringIO
>
> 6. /usr/lib/python2.7/email/message.py
> from: from cStringIO import StringIO
> to: from StringIO import StringIO
>
> 7. /usr/lib/python2.7/email/generator.py
> from: from cStringIO import StringIO
> to: from StringIO import StringIO

I hope you understand I cannot patch the base python email module in
this way.

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen

--